UB CarFree Carpool Program
The Carpool Program for the current academic year has reached capacity! Visit this page and apply early-August 2014 for next years' pool!
The goals of the UB CarFree Carpool Program are as follows:
- To reduce the demand for parking on the North & South Campuses;
- To reduce traffic congestion on and between the campuses;
- To increase the number of registered rideshare & carpool participants;
- To decrease the number of single-occupant vehicles (SOV's) on University campuses;
- To improve local air quality, and contribute to the University's Climate Action Commitment.
Carpool Members will Receive:
- One permit per carpool for sharing, which allows the group to park in a lot proximate to their final destination (subject to availability).
- Carpool spaces will be designated in highly desirable, prime locations across the North and South Campuses. In addition, through the registration process, carpoolers will be able to advise Parking & Transportation Services of their top three choices for a carpool space location, and consideration will be given to placing an additional carpool space where possible.
- Carpool members with vehicles registered with Parking & Transportation will be issued fifteen (15) one-day permits per semester, valid in shared (faculty/staff /student), commuter, paid parking (Fronczak & Michael-Farber), or Park & Ride lots only, for use when carpooling is not viable.
- Access to complimentary UB Emergency Ride Home. See info below.
A carpool must:
- Include at least two members of the campus community (faculty, student or staff).
- Take place a minimum of 3 days per week, and the participants must commute both to and from work together.
- Include only off-campus residents. On-campus residents may not participate.
- NOT include motorcycles, motor scooters, and mopeds
- MAY include people who share the same address.
Carpool Members must:
- Surrender their individual permits in exchange for a carpool permit.
- Only belong to one carpool.
- Reside off campus. On-campus residents are not eligible to participate.
- Immediately notify Parking & Transportation Services of any change to a carpool status. If a carpool member drops out of the carpool, the remaining members will have 30 days to recruit a replacement.
Falsifying information or misusing the carpool program could result in a one-year revocation of parking privileges at the University.
Emergency Ride Home
To ensure that any carpool member is not stranded on campus in the event of a personal emergency, UB will provide an Emergency Ride Home. During normal office hours (M-F, 8:30 am - 5 pm) carpool members need only call the Parking and Transportation office (716-645-3943) and a ride will be arranged. After office hours, the member calls an approved Emergency Ride vendor, gets a receipt, and submits it for reimbursement.
What is an ACCEPTABLE NEED?
- Minor accident or injury to you or your immediate family (child, spouse/partner, parent, dependant)
- Sudden and unexpected illness (you or your immediate family)
- Major catastrophe such as house fire, gas leak, or flood
- Carpool driver must leave campus unexpectedly
- Carpool vehicle is undrivable or stolen
What is NOT an Acceptable Need?
- Injury requiring immediate medical attention (call 911 or ask a coworker/friend to drive you to the emergency room)
- Soiled or damaged clothing
- Region-wide natural events such as a major snowstorm
- Situations in which your immediate presence is not required (e.g, your child wants a ride somewhere; spouse has car trouble, etc.)
- Need to work overtime and you miss your carpool. In this situation, please contact our office before 5 pm, Mon-Fri. You may still use our vendors and campus rates, but you or your department will be responsible for the bill.
- Your home or to a place where you have to deal with an emergency, such as a hospital or daycare center. You may stop at the site of the emergency, and then continue home, but you may not make unnecessary stops (e.g., shopping or coffee runs).
Approved Emergency Ride Vendors
- Buffalo Transportation (Taxis and Limos), 877-5600
Discounted UB rates; accepts Campus Cash